27 August 2016

Embracing the zombie

This will be the view of my writing and drawing arm for some time. I fell and broke my radius in several places. I'm talented that way. I am also very visual, so here are some x-rays to explain the damage.

this is a normal wrist.
this is my wrist. scroll up and down to compare. I'll wait.

This past Wednesday, I had a very nice surgeon, open up my arm and realign the bones. A bone graft was needed for the space "where everything just crumbled". This bit of bone came from a dead person who gave their body to science. Cool. Thank you, whoever you are. This, of course, means they are back from the dead. (insert evil laugh here) I am glad to have a zombie arm. I look forward to the stories it will tell. 
The surgeon also put in a titanium plate and many screws. Yay! As if I weren't screwy enough.

Early estimates are 16 weeks until my wrist if back to fully functioning. As this is my dominant arm, I am learning to do all sorts of things all over again - eat, dress myself, open jars, shower. I ache to draw away the boredom of healing. For the moment I will settle for the slow, one-handed typing up of things to draw later.



No comments:

Post a Comment