18 June 2012

What is the Illustration Smackdown?

Today, over on the CA Academy of Sciences From the Stacks blog I introduced my goofy illustration concept, the Illustration Smackdown.

The way the Illustration Smackdown works.
Each month, the archive staff, will locate an illustration in the Archive during the course of their regular work. They will not show it to me. Instead they will provide me with two pieces of information;
1. The scientific name of the plant or animal featured.
2. Whether the piece in question is a field sketch or a finished illustration
I will then have two weeks to research the species and produce my own illustration. Then we will feature the two illustrations side by side on From the Stacks for your viewing pleasure.


There is a heady sense of hubris that comes from pitting yourself against history for no readily apparent reason. I've already gotten my first critter name and begun researching. The first Smackdown illustration will feature the Wild Boar, Sus scrofa. The scientific name was not listed on the original I was told, just the common name.

Stay tuned for sketches, random factoids and a link to the Smackdown results in tow week's time!


No comments:

Post a Comment