12 August 2012

Urban sketching of a sort

I had some time to fill before meeting my crew for lunch. I wandered down Valencia Street looking for possible lunch spots and thinking about the Urban Sketch movement. I feel intimidated by folks who can fit an entire city skyline behind the cafe they are sitting at complete with people onto a tiny page. The only way to get over it is to go out and practice drawing until I can do something similar (or just more satisfactory from my own point of view). So I set out to capture some of my adventure. Two of my favorite places to wander into on Valencia are Paxton Gate and 826 (alternatively known as the home of McSweeney's and the Pirate Supply Store). Being Sunday, both places were full of folks. Rather than sketch one fully existing tableau, I shifted from spot to spot, putting together my own display of things that caught my eye. Then I bought a bottle of dark green, Italian ink for my dip pens and a six-sided die with words instead of numbers. Each side offers one of the following: who, what, where, when, why or how.  

No comments:

Post a Comment