24 May 2012

Re-purposing Ugly Art

Now don't get me wrong - Ugly Art is necessary. Ugly Art is what I make when I am learning something new. I took a portrait painting class where we had to keep every painting, so as to have a "retrospective" at the end. Unfortunately for my grade, I had never really done people before, nor had I painted in oils, so most of my product was Double Ugly. 
As I prepare for East Bay Open Studios, cleaning up (and trying to throw out, but not succeeding), I moved the stack of Ugly Art portraits twice before hitting on an idea to re-purpose them......


I pulled out a can of chalkboard paint. Each piece of Ugly Art got two coats.
Once they dried,  I used duct tape to connect two panels. The hardware store had been out of black, so I chose the burgundy - just because.
Now I have seven signs to place on the corners and up the drive way directing folks to my studio. Plus, I can erase the Open Studio messages during the rest of the year to use them for yard sales, kid art, scavenger hunts, halloween decorations.... yay for ART! 


No comments:

Post a Comment