16 October 2012

divergent thoughts

I should be preparing for my conference talk on Monday. There are "slides" to be assembled, digital files to be uploaded. There are finer points of a study that I need to memorize, an outfit to be picked out and obsessed over, carpool details to finalize.... Instead I find myself thinking about mouse lemurs.  

These smallest of primates are nocturnal, and like all lemurs, natives of Madagascar. Mouse lemurs range in length from 23-29cm - that's 9-11in nose tip to tail. Madame Berthe's Mouse Lemur has a combined head-body length of 3 inches. How cute is that? 

Today is also a day to celebrate the woman who inspired Alan Turing in his creation of the first "modern" computer system. Not through her feminine whiles (Turing was gay), but through her grasp of math. Lady Augusta Ada King, Countess of Lovelace, 'Enchantress of Numbers" published the first computer program around 1843. 

What do either of these interesting subjects have to do with my talk on Monday next? Nothing, except for the inner workings of my brain!

No comments:

Post a Comment