28 September 2012

Earthquakes and Sherlock Holmes

When I get stuck on a drawing, I often work it through by thinking about something else entirely. Today it was earthquakes. Earthquakes usually need to be over 3.0 on the richter scale before I feel them. However, this morning's 2.7 banged into the studio when I was working (see above map courtesy of the USGS). For some reason, this map made me think about Sherlock Holmes - I don't know why, I haven't read any of those stories for years. One of the things that always drove me nuts about those books was the way Holmes would meet a shady character then declaim to Watson later that he couldn't have been the murderer because the ink stain on his right hand clearly means he was right-handed and the knife was obviously wielded by a left-handed man wearing Ugg boots (or some such). Below is a photo of my hands at the end of letter writing yesterday. Tell me, Sherlock, what hand do I write with, huh?


2 comments:

  1. Bwa ha ha. I think that might be a stumper even for old Sherlock. (I often find myself absurdly proud of messy-ink-inks, too!)

    ReplyDelete