30 September 2012

The week no books would die...

Even if I didn't work in a couple of libraries, I have enough book-loving friends to remind me that this is ALA's Banned Books Week. I am always interested in what makes the list of most challenged books and why. The message for me from this whole publicity campaign is to keep reading, and not to let others dictate what is and is not acceptable reading (rather, you should read them and decide for yourself - a typical librarian attitude, I suppose). Most years I do not participate by reading something currently on the list. This week, however, I intend to reread one of my favorite books that has made the "decade lists" for 20 years:
A Day No Pigs Would Die by Robert Newton Peck. It was #16 on the list from 1990-1999, and #80 from 2000-2009. Set in a small rural community during Calvin Coolidge's presidency. It is slow-paced, full of descriptions of farm life and animals. My favorite scene involves the grey squirrel and the chocolate cake. I won't spoil it - you need to read it. It will change how you view both.

2 comments:

  1. I'll read it soon~ thanks for the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are most welcome. To add a bit of added interest - I think the book is set in CT (or was it VT? dang abbreviations...)

    ReplyDelete