27 September 2012

Roadworks photo essay



I usually shy away from putting my photos on display - they tend to be crappy. However, last Saturday we went to the SF Center for the Book's Roadworks event. My sketchbook came out long enough to allow my younger daughter to make vegetable prints using tempera paints (which took forever to dry). I didn't take the time to sketch - I was too busy looking. We wandered the mini-fair area. I bought a new journal from the pickypocket booth and discovered the cool cards made by Clandestine Press. At the end of the block lithographic prints were being made on the street using a construction steamroller. It was super cool as the following photos show....



We pushed our way to the front of the crowd to see the plate on the ground.
Close up of plate.
putting the paper down.
carefully pressing it down

covering the paper with protective layers.
layer two
next layer
the final layer
Here it comes!
STEAMROLLER!!!
squish
first pass almost done
backing up
time to take the layers off
removing the layers
the anticipation!
 careful peeling off of the paper.

Ta Da!

one final lousy close up. Any one know the artist's name? I'd like to give credit....

 



2 comments:

  1. Man, that is super cool. Thanks for the photo series, wish I coulda seen that in person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was awesome! And it seems to be annual. I want to try to spend more time and sketch the proceedings next year..

    ReplyDelete